Stocks or Gold: Which One Should You Put Your Money Into?
Ever since the pandemic hit, the entire investment scene has turned upside down. Multiple corrections across various asset classes have given investors some seriously sleepless nights. And they’re now entangled in the eternal dilemma of whether they should be investing in stocks or gold.
But, why did such a dilemma arise in the first place?
If we go statistically, there’s a significant rise in the stock markets as they’ve touched an all-time high of over 52,000 points. On the contrary, gold prices are falling with the rise in stock prices. They’ve come down to INR 46,000 per 10 grams from an all-time high of INR 57,000 per 10 grams. So, the tradeoff that seems to exist between both asset classes is – gold prices might rise when the stock prices suffer, and gold prices might fall while the stocks perform pretty well.
Now, before you take any impulsive decision, let’s first learn the pros and cons of investing in each of them.
Why you should and shouldn’t invest in Gold
- Serves as the best hedge against inflation
- Provides tax benefits
- Who doesn’t love to own something that’s tangible and desired by all?!
- Pays no dividends
- Doesn’t bring economic growth
- Doesn’t generate cash flow
Why you should and shouldn’t invest in Stocks
- Have higher liquidity
- Have higher returns in shorter periods of time
- Easy to buy and sell
- There’s a risk of losing it all
- Neck-to-neck competition
- Quite an emotional rollercoaster!
Overall, considering the current volatility in the stock market, investors are resorting to buying gold for investment, which according to them is comfort food for the portfolio. Still, we’d like to present some valuable recommendations straight from financial experts so that you can play safe.
Hear it out from the financial wizards!
- Keeping in mind that stock prices are on the higher side, former chairman of BSE and Managing Partner of Ravi Rajan & Co, S Ravi suggests that investors need to be sagacious to survive happily in this buoyant market. He recommends having a diversified portfolio as it enables investors to alleviate risks associated with each class of assets.
- The founder & CEO of IFA Global, Abhishek Goenka, however, finds gold to be a better bet. He says so because the global central banks are increasing gold in their Forex reserves, and even the RBI has intervened to prevent Rupee appreciation in order to bolster its Forex kitty. So, it’s likely that gold in INR terms can remain supported for a long time. Harshad Chetanwala, Co-Founder of MyWealthGrowth.com agrees with Goenka.
- Jitendra Solanki, another financial expert, chips in by saying that while gold may be a good hedge against inflation, equities deliver higher compounding effects and higher returns in the long term. Therefore, it’s advisable that you make equity as a core asset class in your wealth and accumulation.
Lorenzo/Pexels | While some experts believe gold is a great shield against inflation, others think stocks make for the best assets
All in all
TBH, every expert opinion listed above is pointing in a different direction; as such, we won’t judge you if you end up getting confused to some extent. What we would advise, therefore, is to analyze your goals from the investment, and then take the leap. Hope we’ve been able to help you. Happy investing!
More in Smart Investments
Jennifer Lopez’s Ex-Boyfriend of 10 Years Passed Away Due to This Serious Health Condition
While the world struggles to cope with the global pandemic, the survivors of David Cruz are also grieving for his loss....November 20, 2022
People With These Jobs Might Just Survive the Next Economic Recession Unscathed
A great number of economists predict that the United States is heading towards another recession in the near future. And if...November 13, 2022
Dangerous Judgment Errors Blocking Innovation Best Practices in the Future of Work
Numerous leaders fail to adopt innovative best practices for the future of work because of dangerous judgment errors called cognitive biases....November 10, 2022
Factors That Determine A Company’s Valuation
When companies start their valuations, they focus on improving price-earnings (PE) ratios by increasing revenue and margin-based sales. However, this approach...November 7, 2022
Celebrity Memoirs That Are Worth Reading
It appears that anyone can write a memoir these days, but for a celebrity to write a book that holds you...October 29, 2022
Survey Shows Most Millennials Regret Making This Mistake When Signing up for Student Loans
Applying for a student loan is the easy part. The difficult part of the process comes when it’s finally time to...October 26, 2022
Lyft to the Rescue! Ride-Sharing Giant Is Using This Clever Strategy to Help Fight COVID-19
It looks like everyone is working towards finding a solution to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak. While scientists are hard at work...October 22, 2022
Emily Blunt Reveals Her Parents’ Unexpected Reaction When She Introduced Then-Boyfriend John Krasinski
John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, who were both born and raised in different countries, have been married for nearly a decade and...October 19, 2022
QuickTrip Is Ready To Launch A High-Tech, No-Cashier Store
Say goodbye to the days when you used to go to the grocery store, stand in the queue to get billing...October 17, 2022
You must be logged in to post a comment Login